Welcome!

I'm Maija and I was born in December!
I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts on many topics!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Here we come a Wassailing...

Christmas is renowned in my family for the huge meals we prepare and eat. Every Christmas I have found myself feeling like the stuffed turkey or chicken cause of the mountains of food I eat. And of course there is a downside to all the yumminess that I get to eat...the dreaded extra Christmas weight. I'm still trying to lose last year's! But have no fear Maija. You have promised yourself that you will try smaller portions of everything and not have seconds! How hard can it be? I'll tell you...REALLY HARD! My mum (and if I do say so... myself) and my sister prepare the most delicious Christmas food. My favourite Christmas dessert has to be Plum pudding. It's a classic recipe that is fabulous! But seriously the food is to die for! And I love it!
But sadly I need to watch my weight this year or else I'll be buying a new wardrobe next year (woo Boxing day sales...not!) so I must be persistent in my efforts to not eat so much of the wonderful meals we have at Christmas. 
As for the actual meals I will now explain how my family decide on what we have for Christmas dinner. I believe I explained what happens on each of the days. So as for this post I will only go into detail of the Christmas eve dinner that my family have. We start off with snacks that include (and always do include) nuts and dried fruit, licorice all-sorts, lollies of some sort, chips and chocolate. Then we proceed to the actual dinner where we will would have been slaving over all day. It tends to be either of two meals. It's either the cold meal or the hot. I like either but I think my favourite is the hot meal but the cold meal I remember more from my childhood. The cold meal tends to be for the years that we have a particularly hot summer and it consists of cold meats, fruits (especially oranges and plums), salad of some sort and beetroot! The hot meal is a roast of any meat we decide me want except for pork. Then we have an array of roast veggies. 
The meal is always accompanied with wine for the adults and ginger beer for the under age. 
After the main meal we have a time to let the food settle and during which we would read the Christmas passage and sing some songs. After which we have dessert which tends to change each year but most often it is the plum pudding which these last few years I myself have made. 
Out of all the Christmas meals I have over the Christmas period this is my favourite because it has a speciality to it because it is a tradition within my family. I would hate to see it change but that is something that always happens even when we are unwilling for it to do so. We grow up and go our separate ways and start our own families. But Christmas meals will always stay special and unique because it is not quite like a Birthday meal (although it should be) but it is better because it is the ultimate birthday party!
(NB the song that titles this post actually mentions a Christmas meal in the fifth verse)

No comments:

Post a Comment