Welcome!

I'm Maija and I was born in December!
I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts on many topics!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Week 2 at Harlin State School


Monday – Arrived at school early to find ideas for my four-week art unit I am to do with the students. Found some great ideas, which I will post about on the day I do it, and hopefully post pictures too with them. I did an English lesson with the Year 2 on Adjectives and how they create feeling in stories.  We had class photos which I got to be in, felt odd being in them and I kept thinking of one of my own school class photos where there was a prac teacher in it and how I could never remember who they were. I don’t think these children will remember me sadly but hopefully they will still learn something from my 6 weeks in their classroom. Even if it is to sit still and stay quiet. Just joking, that’s not just what they will learn. During lunchtime, my mentor teacher went home sick leaving me with the afternoon session to teach. I had already been planning to do the art lesson then so I planned to do that on top of reading a story and organising the show and tell section of the afternoon. It went well in my mind…considering all the possible bad things that could have taken place. The worst problem I did not know what was happening inside the classroom while I was outside with the small group who were painting their colour wheel. Overall the day went according to plan and fairly well. Tomorrow it seems I may be on my own without my mentor teacher and without a substitute teacher. Tomorrow I will learn how important teacher aides are in the classroom!

Tuesday – Arrived at school to hear the good news that a Substitute teacher had been found for the day…phew! She had never been to this school but she turned out to be very good and I did end up running a few lessons anyway. Today I learnt how to team-teach and I loved it. If only there were enough teaching spaces available as well as teachers to have two teachers per classroom! That would be so ideal!

Wednesday – Not much really happened today…the days this week are feeling a bit the same now…I just want the students to hurry up and finish writing out ‘Goldilocks and the three bears’ which we wrote together as a class. We started on Tuesday. I got the year 2’s who had finished writing it to type it up.

Thursday – Still writing and typing….yawn…I couldn’t get any actual teaching instruction in today or yesterday but that’s ok…made it more relaxing for me but I kind of want them to move faster…can I say that? Lol Oh well…patience Maija. The best thing I got to do today was maths activities with the Preps…so my second year subject (EDU341) came in handy with activities that check for maths skills. Such as subitising, counting on and naming the numbers. So I was pleased that I was actually able to use the knowledge that I had learnt at uni!

Friday – My teacher left early today again…but it was just during lunch and the next part was music with the PE/Music teacher so I didn’t have to do much. But before that I was still supervising my lesson on ‘Goldilocks and the three bears’ while the students were still writing and typing. I plan that next week they will be doing something different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment